This is a more personal update versus money related. Please skip and come back tomorrow for my debt update if not interested.
This past weekend was CRAZY! First Princess played in a day long tournament in a city 2.5 hours away on Saturday. We got home about 7:30pm Saturday.
Then Gymnast competed in his last regular season gymnastics meet. States is in two weeks. I was exhausted by the time we got home last night at 11pm.
But I wanted to share some video clips of this latest meet. This is his 6th year competing. His first year with a new team. And he competes as a Level 7 gymnast.
Gymnast Competes
He placed 1st All Around and either 1st or 2nd on all six events. He amazes me! I hope this gives you a glimpse into why I am committed to continuing to facilitate his training.
The Cheering Section
This meet was made even more special when four of our extended family members showed up to cheer him on! There were four generations of family there with us. It was awesome!
There were many comments on the amount of money I am paying for the kids’ summer camp this year. And I have always admitted it was a large amount, but I thought it was worth it AND I believe (and still believe) this will be our last year of summer camp.
But even before my job loss, my perspective was changing a bit. One because of the cost and two as I considered other ways the money could be spent.
What I Did
In early January, I had a conversation with Princess who was scheduled for 4 of the weeks of camp I was paying for. We discussed my thoughts about the amount of money is a 13 year old friendly way. I also showed her some other ways the money could be spent. I reiterated my commitment of sending her to camp for the four weeks, but I wanted her to consider these other options. And left the decision in her hands. We also discussed the private school she visited last fall. The deadline for application was Feb. 1 and I wanted to know if she still wanted to apply.
Bathroom selfie time with Princess and I
Every couple of weeks, I would check in with her on her thoughts. No pressure.
Decision Made
A couple of weeks ago, she came to me and said she was willing to give up the second session of camp. I was so proud of her for coming to the decision on her own. (Unfortunately, I probably would have forced it with the job situation. I’m glad I didn’t have too.)
I called the camp this week, and cancelled the second session. They were very kind about it and said if something changes, they would be happy to offer me the deal I had locked in by booking last summer.
Moving Forward
The balance due for my younger two to attend is $1,430 (combined.) While I slowed down on my debt payment while I job seek, I am committed to paying this balance off by the end of April.