:::: MENU ::::

Update on Plan #4: Summer Camp

by

There were many comments on the amount of money I am paying for the kids’ summer camp this year. And I have always admitted it was a large amount, but I thought it was worth it AND I believe (and still believe) this will be our last year of summer camp.

But even before my job loss, my perspective was changing a bit.  One because of the cost and two as I considered other ways the money could be spent.

What I Did

In early January, I had a conversation with Princess who was scheduled for 4 of the weeks of camp I was paying for. We discussed my thoughts about the amount of money is a 13 year old friendly way. I also showed her some other ways the money could be spent. I reiterated my commitment of sending her to camp for the four weeks, but I wanted her to consider these other options. And left the decision in her hands. We also discussed the private school she visited last fall. The deadline for application was Feb. 1 and I wanted to know if she still wanted to apply.

Bathroom selfie time with Princess and I

Every couple of weeks, I would check in with her on her thoughts. No pressure.

Decision Made

A couple of weeks ago, she came to me and said she was willing to give up the second session of camp. I was so proud of her for coming to the decision on her own. (Unfortunately, I probably would have forced it with the job situation. I’m glad I didn’t have too.)

I called the camp this week, and cancelled the second session.  They were very kind about it and said if something changes, they would be happy to offer me the deal I had locked in by booking last summer.

Moving Forward

The balance due for my younger two to attend is $1,430 (combined.) While I slowed down on my debt payment while I job seek, I am committed to paying this balance off by the end of April.

Full debt update coming this week.

Never Miss a Single Post

Join our FREE newsletter and get awesome financial tips straight to your inbox.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit


6 Comments

  • Reply Walnut |

    How many weeks is gymnast going to camp? Have you extended him the offer to trade his camp weeks for something else?

    • Reply Hope |

      Gymnast was only going for one session to begin with. This cut means they will both go to the same camp at the same time. Which means two weeks child free for me! (And it is a camp they LOVED last year!)

  • Reply Cwaltz |

    It’s really great that Princess is willing to sacrifice. Personally with the amount of funding that Gymnast’s extracurricular takes from everyday funding I think his share should have been on the cutting block first. Both kids should have fun but it should be within reasonable budget parameters and while it may not be entirely equal it should be somewhat equitable.

    • Reply Hope |

      All of my children are supported equally in their extracurriculars…the finances are not part of that equation as some things do cost more or less than others. But each child is encouraged to pursue their interests and I find a way to make it work…

  • Reply Laura |

    Hope, I hope this doesn’t sound too harsh, but you can not afford this. You can’t afford gymnastics or private school right now either, I’m not sure why that was even still on the table. You should see what the deposits you have already paid to camp can get them and just use that. If it turns out to only be 1 week each so be it.

    I think it was a smart move building up your emergency fund and I was one who thought you should keep it and not use it to pay down debt, but it won’t last forever. Until you find another job expenses should be cut as much as possible.

    Have you heard on the status of unemployment yet?

    • Reply Hope |

      Hi Laura, I certainly appreciate your feedback. We are not pursuing the private school. And I will not make any changes to the activities with the competition season ending the middle of April. After that…we will see.

      No word on unemployment yet. I was told a decision would be made on Feb 22nd and a letter would go out then. At this point, no letter has been received.

So, what do you think ?