There were many comments on the amount of money I am paying for the kids’ summer camp this year. And I have always admitted it was a large amount, but I thought it was worth it AND I believe (and still believe) this will be our last year of summer camp.
But even before my job loss, my perspective was changing a bit. One because of the cost and two as I considered other ways the money could be spent.
What I Did
In early January, I had a conversation with Princess who was scheduled for 4 of the weeks of camp I was paying for. We discussed my thoughts about the amount of money is a 13 year old friendly way. I also showed her some other ways the money could be spent. I reiterated my commitment of sending her to camp for the four weeks, but I wanted her to consider these other options. And left the decision in her hands. We also discussed the private school she visited last fall. The deadline for application was Feb. 1 and I wanted to know if she still wanted to apply.
A couple of weeks ago, she came to me and said she was willing to give up the second session of camp. I was so proud of her for coming to the decision on her own. (Unfortunately, I probably would have forced it with the job situation. I’m glad I didn’t have too.)
I called the camp this week, and cancelled the second session. They were very kind about it and said if something changes, they would be happy to offer me the deal I had locked in by booking last summer.
The balance due for my younger two to attend is $1,430 (combined.) While I slowed down on my debt payment while I job seek, I am committed to paying this balance off by the end of April.
Full debt update coming this week.