:::: MENU ::::

Housing Decision Made – Finally!

by

We are staying put.  It was just too much to keep searching and hoping for somewhere to move too.  And with the requirement to give 60 days notice here, it would have put us moving towards the middle of the school semester.  So we are staying in our cozy 2 bedroom apartment.

I did make the commitment to the kiddos and myself that come May of next year, we are out of here!  Thus I have already given notice that we will move out on the day our lease ends which is right after the end of our school year in April.

Where we will go then…no one knows, but we will be leaving here.  The possibilities are endless and a bit exciting:

  1. Have found and purchased a home here for less than $150K (that is the top of my budget and I would rather be right around $100K so we are definitely looking for a country home, fixer upper.)  Only time will tell if we can find one.
  2. Put all our items, really not very much in storage and hit the road to travel for a while.  The littles and I did this for a couple of months right after we were forced out of our previous rental home as we waited for the home my dad purchased to be built.  It was fun and with planning, we can do it fairly economically.  I’ve been looking at the Ultimate US Roadtrip and wondering if they was a way we could do that.
  3. Have a rental ready to move right into…I’m really not so keen on this at all.  With the dogs and the space and the price, it’s just SO expensive here.
  4. Decide to move away…it will be History Buff’s senior year and he should be quite far ahead after this year so technically most of his work will be online via dual enrollment next year.  None of the kids are really excited about this possibility and frankly, I’m not either but it is a possibility especially in light of the cost of living here.

So who knows what is to come…but we now have the school year to figure it out.  And I’m very pleased with this decision in light of keeping our housing costs relatively affordable despite the lack of space.  We are definitely paying for location, location, location.

AND I will have yet another winter where I don’t have to deal with snow!  AND by the time we move BOTH twins will have their driver’s licenses.  So I am definitely looking at the blessings here.

Hope’s Debt Update – August, 2015

by

I was so excited last week when I published my new budget…$2000 every month to figure out what to do with…yeah, no, I totally forgot about the impending Braces for Sea Cadet and Princess.  They go on in just a couple of weeks, and thus the $500 per month payment begins in September.  I know it’s a great cause, but UGH!  So as I publish this new debt update, you will see what I anticipate will be my debt for the braces.

Debt NameCurrent BalanceInterest RateMin. Mo. PymtOriginal BalanceStatus
Student Loan$33,3252.875%$98$31,687IBRP effective Aug, 2015
Yukon$35680% (6 months)$104$3568Ex pays $246 mo. towards this debt
Orthodontist$10,8000%$500$10,800Begins Sept, 2015
Checking Account$00%--$741Paid Off - Jan 2015!
CC Intro Rate - Retail #2$03.99%--$3500Paid Off - May, 2015
Personal Loan - Car$012%--$5000Paid Off - July, 2015
Credit Card - Consumer$013.90%--$4,974Paid Off - June, 2015
Credit Card - Retail$025.99%--$2,265Refinanced - Dec, 2015
Car Loan - Accord$00%--$1,900Paid Off - Dec, 2015
Car Loan - NV$06.79%--$31,138Sold - Dec, 2015
Line of Credit$015.95%--$1,248Paid Off
Credit Card - Retail #1$00%--$413Paid Off
Property Tax$00%--$700Paid Off
TOTALS$47,693$702$97,934

I have not taken any time yet to figure out a plan of attack.  I am certainly open to suggestions.

A couple of things to note:

Student Loan: I just got approved for a IBRP (income based repayment plan) that began this month.  Making my minimum monthly payment $98 and the interest rate is still 2.88%

Yukon: This is my ex-husband’s car loan.  The minimum payment due per the refinance onto one of my recently paid off lines of credit is $104 per month, but he pays $246 per month on it.

Ortho: The dreaded braces.  No interest, they divide the payments up over 18 months.  This is my guesstimate total as I won’t actually see or sign the paperwork until August 31 when the braces go on.