Thank for you all the feedback on my ideas for side hustle. I have decided to pursue a couple of them, beginning with homemade dog food.
I will make batches of dog food over the next two weeks, and freeze it.
In July, I will set up shop at the local Farmer’s Market. It is open Tuesday evening and Saturday mornings.
Before then, I must come up with some sort of labeling and pricing.
- Time – I will work the cooking and crockpot-ing around my other work.
- Money – I have budgeted $100 in start up costs. This money will have to cover food supplies, labeling, containers.
- Label stickers including ingredient list will be printed on my home printer.
- Ingredients and packaged food will be weighed on the scale I use for making soap.
- Containers – maybe these? I’m thinking long term I would charge a deposit for the containers and request they be cleaned and returned. This will keep it economical and more green. Or I can sell it in Ziploc bags?
- Food – meat, zucchini, apples to start. I have everything else in my pantry – oats, rice, frozen vegetables.
There is limited risk with this investment. Since the food is frozen, and I will transport in a cooler, if it doesn’t sell, I can put it back in the freezer.
I am excited about this new venture. It’s nice to be doing something outside of my day to day job.
What am I missing? Any guidance on pricing would be great? Have you ever ventured out on a small side hustle like this? How’d it go?