:::: MENU ::::

Browsing posts in: About Me

I was Shocked at the Responses

by

In my recent post regarding my decision not to buy a car, I was floored at the backlash and criticism. Not because it hurt my feelings, I’ve definitely gotten thicker skinned since writing here, but because I honestly hadn’t considered this a risk to Sea Cadet…didn’t even enter my mind.

He had offered to let me drive his car as long as I needed after he was gone for free. No rush to sell it, etc. I was the one who decided that me just driving it at no cost was not fair to him, so came up with the $100 plan. (KBB value is between $500-700.)

Decisions, decisions, decisions – but I will be patient and make the right one!

And as far as insurance goes, I put this in the comments of that post, but will address it here…both the twins and their cars are on my insurance. I never dropped insurance on myself, just on the totaled car, so I am fully covered when I drive their cars, as are their cars.

What to Do

But I did read your comments with an open mind…and am now I am wavering. Not in my decision to NOT buy a car, I am still committed to that. But in my thoughts are keeping his car longer than we need too.

Since you all have thoughts on this help me…here are the facts:

  • I am doing fine without a car. I have access to my grandmother’s most any time I want. And History Buff can pick up the slack (getting Princess places) when he is available.
  • I will need a car much more often from August until October because Princess will play volleyball; otherwise, very little need.
  • Sea Cadet is leaving at the end of this month. His car will be here, sitting, after August 2nd. (He and History Buff are driving up to VA after school is out and he will leave to CA from there. History Buff will bring his car back.)
  • I will be removing him as a driver on our insurance policy while he is gone. We have confirmed he will be covered by Americorps, so there will be no gap in coverage which we know we have to avoid.
  • I will be covering the insurance on his car until it is sold and am listed as a driver on his car on our policy.
  • The car is titled in his name. He has given me the title.
  • Our plan (discussed and decided on together) was originally that History Buff would sell his car, and then drive Sea Cadet’s car while he was gone. The reasoning behind this is that History Buff’s car is in much worse shape.
  • Sea Cadet rethought this original plan after observing how History Buff fails to take care of his own car. And decided that he would just like to sell it and save the money for when he returns toward another car.
  • When I totaled our car, Sea Cadet offered to just let me keep and drive his car as long as I needed to after he left. And then sell it.
  • (This is an assumption on my part.) I believe Sea Cadet is second guessing his decision to sell based on conversations I have had with him recently on how good of shape his car is in and how much life it has in it.
  • I believe I could move forward with selling Sea Cadet’s car in August. And make it through my busy driving months with my Grandmother’s car without issue. Thus relieving him of the liability of me driving a car titled in his name.
  • I really don’t want the expense of owning another car while I am paying for Sea Cadet’s car until it sells. (And I do not want to purchase his car, lots of reasons for this financial and otherwise.)

A couple more thoughts…

  • My #1 goal on the car front side is to purchase Princess a reliable car to drive with CASH come next summer when she gets her license. She will be driving to school her senior year. I truly do not mind not having a car at this point. (And can rent from a local Enterprise when needed.)
  • When my boyfriend moves here from Florida, we have already decided that we would consolidate down to one car…just a know plan in the back of my head as I consider car stuff. (No firm timeline on this, but earliest would be this fall but could easily be longer.)

Drum Roll Please…

by

I mentioned it earlier in the summer…that Princess has some big decisions to make this summer. Well, at least one of the decisions has been made. And it is a big one.

Princess has decided to transfer schools for her junior and senior year of high school. I am not going to delve into all the reasons. (There are quite a few both personal and academic based.) But when it comes down to it, this is her decision, initiated by her and I support it completely.

She will be attending a academic based private school about 20 minutes from our house. They have a rigorous application process including not only grades and letters of reference but also student and parent interviews.

The Cost

Now the cost is a big factor, especially in my current situation. And I’m sure I will draw some fire for allowing this, but as always, my desire to do what is best for my kids out weights everything. And I think that this is the best decision for Princess at this point in her life with only 2 years of high school left and being extremely academically gifted.

The yearly tuition is $11,700. Uniforms are required. And there is a cost for bus transportation if we use it. (It is nice that they offer it to our tiny town. I would have to take her to the local Walmart for drop off and pick up, but they do offer a late bus for those participating in activities and sports.)

Thankfully, she qualified for both merit based and need based grants, bringing the tuition cost to $3,000 for the year. There are three different payment plans offered:

  • Pay it all by August 1 and get a 5% discount.
  • Pay it 50%/50% by Aug 1 and Dec 1, at $1,500 per payment.
  • Pay it monthly at $375 toward the principal + $25 per month fee for this option.

I have decided to go with the 50%/50% option. I will use our budgeted money for her uniforms. And I’m not sure about the bus use yet. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

The one nice thing about this is that lunch is included in the tuition, so that will help some…

What are your thoughts on paying for a private education while on the debt payoff journey? It’s a very new idea to me. But for these two years, for my academically gifted and committed daughter, I feel like this is a good move.