The last month has been a blur. Today is my one month anniversary on my new job. It is going great, and I am LOVING what I do. The wait was worth it to find the perfect position and the perfect company. I am so grateful.
Let me fill you in on what has been happening:
- Worked 40 hours per week in the office at my new job.
- Continued to work 25 hours a week for one of my part time jobs.
- Continued to work approx. 10 hours a week for my other part time job.
- Continued to school the kids – we are meeting twice a week (Sundays and one night a week) with intermittent study times together at night when the kids get stuck. It is definitely not ideal. I’m going to have to re-evaluate our curriculum for the fall. But we will finish the school year in the next month and move on to a lighter schedule for the summer.
- Gymnast is going to gym (1 hour away) twice a week and soccer less than a mile away, 3 days per week. He needs the energy outlet. He is gone for the week with cousins to FL — this is why I wanted to move near family.
- Princess is playing basketball and has gotten involved with the youth group (that’s a first for her.)
- Sea Cadet continues to work at the movie theater he transferred with from Virginia, and looks forward to returning to VA the first week of June where he will spend the summer working as the Senior Boys Counselor at the same camp he worked at last year.
If you have done the math…I’m putting in upwards of 70 hours a week at work. Oh, and I forgot, I’m starting every day with an hour in the gym. It’s been life changing. It’s been a whirlwind! But I do have some exciting news…
We have rented a house!!!! And you will not believe my rent…it is only $650 per month!!!! I can’t believe it. It is exactly the reason I wanted to move here. We have not moved in yet, because frankly we don’t have furniture. Sea Cadet is staying there now on some old furniture family gave us, but we don’t have any beds. Our stuff will be delivered by Upack on Tuesday so we can start making it home. I have decided to move all the way in (we haven’t unpacked our stuff in over 2 1/2 years) and make it home. We are all excited. But it’s going to be a while before Gymnast, Princess and I move in while I watch for good deals and save money to get beds.
Our new home is 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bath, small manageable yard with just enough space for the kids to play. Really, the only two things I am going to miss right now are 1) a dishwasher and 2) being able to have pets. But all in due time.
A monthly budget is on the horizon. I’ve just gotten my first full paycheck so I have a better idea of what my take home will be. I did use every bit of my savings to get into the house. I have to pay a $500 deposit, $650 first month’s rent, $250 to the city to turn on utilities and about $100 for a few odds and ends to get us started (toilet paper, broom, mop, cleaning supplies and a shelving unit to create a pantry in the laundry room.)
Princess and I return to Virginia this weekend for her to get her braces off. It will be a quick turn, and it is the last trip we have planned. My new job has already agreed to let me work remotely while I travel, which thrills me to no end!