by Ashley
Say what?
Yes.
Just now I opened my email and found an email from the “other” department saying they are posting an ad soliciting an instructor/undergraduate coordinator and they would like for me to apply for the position. The ad should be posted by the end of the week and they hope to have a quick hire (7-10 day turnaround).
What? WHAT?!
My Mom (the real estate broker) says I’m like an empty house. I’ve sat on the market without any offers for months and then – all of the sudden – there’s a bidding war! (haha! Gotta love my mom, comparing me to a house!)
I haven’t responded yet. I was planning to email them today to say that I’d just signed a contract with another department but I haven’t actually signed yet and I wanted to wait until everything is 100% official before closing that door.
So what should I do? I’ve exchanged a couple emails with the department where I’ve received an official offer letter today. We’re still working on an exact salary number but I expect that negotiations should wrap up tomorrow and I also bet that my salary with this department will be higher than they could offer in the “other” department.
So should I reply now and say I’m unavailable – that I’m in contract negotiations with someone else? Or should I wait until the contract is officially signed and leave them hanging in the meantime?
I seriously cannot believe I’m even in this place. Just a few weeks ago I was unsure if I’d ever get a full time offer, and now I’ve basically got two? Craziness!

