:::: MENU ::::

Re-homing Pets – First Success


Early on, I got a lot of feedback on the number of animals we have.  And while my financial position and housing options seems to improve there for a while, things have definitely taken a nose dive since losing my big contract in October.  And with that, and the looming move in April, I am once again making some really tough decisions.  Our animals, most if not all, are being re-homed.

Now to be clear, I will NOT put them in a shelter.  But I am open to finding them good homes that will be best for them.  So to that end, we have let those closest to us know (they already know our situation,) and asked them to be on the lookout.

And I’m happy to say, we have found our smallest dog a new home, with which we are all happy.  Mene (short for Menehune, pronounced “mini”) stayed this past week at what will become his new home as a trial while I was out of town training for my new part time job.  We brought him home last night and have received confirmation from the family that they do want to move forward.  Yeah!

I will be taking all the animals to the vet in the next week or so for annual shots and exams, and then they will be ready to move.  It is a HUGE move for me to be ready and open to this.  The kids are all sad, but understand the situation, and I think the method in which we are doing this is a good…as good as it can be.

No solid leads for the other three, but I am hopeful and feel like giving myself four months prior to the move allows me to be picky and make wise, not rushed decisions.

I do not know what we will do if we haven’t found homes before we have to move in April.  If  I’ve gotten a new job and thus housing, it will be fine, but if I haven’t, I don’t know.  So please pray that good, solid homes are found for our beloved animals.  Or maybe even families that would be willing to keep them while we get back on our feet.  But the first option is ideal, after being through the ringer the last few years financially, housing wise, etc. it would be nice to have the responsibility and worry lifted completely for the time being.


  • Reply Angie |

    If you can’t find homes in time (not quite sure why there is a deadline?) and you are having trouble with the food/maintenance costs I’m sure there are shelters in the area that would offer assistance. They’d much rather the animals have a loving home and provide assistance than risk the potential of them ended up in a shelter due to financial hardship.

    • Reply Hope |

      The timeline is because we MUST move out of our current place at the end of April. And as of yet, have no idea where we will go. Finding a home for the past 2 years of searching that will accept large breed dogs has been impossible. So thus the decision…and timeline.
      I will not consider a shelter at all…both larger ones would be prime candidates for euthanasia because of breed, shyness and recent aggression. So that is not an option to me at all.

  • Reply Jenna |

    What an extremely tough decision, Hope – as someone who was able to help a colleague re-home a dog last month – it all came down to me knowing the right tidbit of information at the right time. In this case, it was a hard to place breed in need of an alternate home and the new home was looking for specifically that breed.
    Some rescue groups will do courtesy online postings of dogs looking for re-homing while the dogs are still in the owner’s home – depending on the group applicants can either be vetted through the rescue’s application process or be directed right to the owner.

    • Reply Hope |

      Thanks for that tip…I’m sticking with people we know for now. But will definitely do a bit a research on courtesy listings…I’m just not sure I would feel comfortable letting them go somewhere that I am not familiar with…it’s taken me a long time to entertain this possibility at all so taking baby steps.

  • Reply Judi |

    This must have been an extremely tough decision. I am going to pray that you will get a full time job soon. However, if April comes and not everyone is rehomed you may want to consider a rescue group. We foster through a rescue group that puts animals in foster homes until they are adopted, the animals will never be put down, and they will always be part of the rescue group. That means if they are ever returned they still won’t go to a shelter.

    • Reply Hope |

      I fear with my two largest dogs that a rescue would be hard…with Milo having been aggressive and Izzy being quite skittish, especially around men (she was rescued from a dumpster and not expected to make it.) We have a wide circle of friends and everyone knows our dogs and temperaments…I’m hopeful that we will find the right home. But if not…well, I will cross that bridge when I come to it, no use borrowing trouble.
      We REALLY need to rehome the cat though as she gets car sick…so the idea of traveling with her…well, it just won’t work at all!

  • Reply Jean |

    I’m sorry you’re having to do this. It would not be an easy thing for me to do, since my cats are my children (I have no human children). But I also know how expensive they can be (grain-free food for the one with allergies, and another one with a heart condition). I think this is the responsible thing for you to do in your situation – still doesn’t make it any easier, though. I hope you’ll be able to find good homes for them before you have to move.

    • Reply Hope |

      Thank you, Jean. I am hopeful that given time we will find homes for most if not all of them. And if we don’t I will cross that bridge when it comes time.

  • Reply Anonymous |

    I hope you are honest with the potential adopter and give full disclosure. I wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing an animal into my home who was just quarantined for attacking another dog

    • Reply Hope |

      In my mind, being honest when re-homing a pet is a given, and since we are only at the point of asking those who know us and thus know the situation in its entirety it goes without saying that everything is in the open. And it’s also one of the several reasons I fear we will have trouble re-homing our two larger dogs…so we will see what happens. I’m certainly not hiding the situation having posted about it on my public blog and social media pages. It’s been devastating to us and completely out of character for our dog.

  • Reply revdrmd |


    Lots of good suggestions have been given. I know this is very hard. Have you thought about asking your vet for suggestions or posting a sign in his/her office. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Sending prayers your way.

So, what do you think ?