Hello BAD Community and Happy 2017! I hope your holiday season was fantastic and you were able to spend some down time with friends or family. The kids and I have enjoyed a sabbatical (for lack of a better word) here in Georgia with a quick 10 day trip to Texas. It was the first time we’d seen most of my siblings (there are 5 of us) in over two years.
We had a very frugal Christmas and loved every minute of it! I didn’t decorate, I didn’t cook and I felt no stress to meet anyone’s expectations. It was very freeing! The kids were ecstatic with their “gift card’s for lunch with mom” and a variety of other small things like the $0.46 shorts.
Now for the bad news…we are still in Georgia, well beyond our expected return date. And the reason is that we have no where to return too. While we were in Texas, I received a text from our hosts of our Glamping Adventure and where we have lived since April, 2016. It read and I quote: “Bad news…a line broke on the camper. We had to totally winterize it to protect the rest of the plumbing.” Yea, just a few days before Christmas we became officially homeless.
They did assure me it wasn’t something we had done (we left on Dec. 7th and this text was received Dec. 19th.) So instead of returning to VA right after the New Year as anticipated, I have been frantically, FRANTICALLY trying to find us housing. My original plan was to remain in VA at our free housing until April and then move everything to GA and make my Grandmother’s our home base if I still hadn’t secure enough work or a full time job to get housing for us.
That has now been modified. I have been able to secure temporary housing beginning Thursday at a home that will go on the market in March. They have offered us housing through March 1st at no charge. It is fully furnished and recently remodeled.
The plan now is to:
- Return to VA on Tuesday (delayed from Monday due to snow storm.) We will stay in a hotel for two nights.
- Move into temporary housing on Thursday with absolute minimum necessary.
- Spend the next two weeks packing our stuff at the camper.
Now I have to decided whether to:
- Leave our stuff where it is (at the camper) until mid-February when we must return to GA for a gymnastics meet. We would then load a moving truck and put everything in storage here in GA; or
- Get a POD or U-pack or something similar and load everything in to put into storage until we know where we will land next.
A quick pricing check puts these two options within a $100 of each other. I am leaning to the POD type storage because I am not certain when we will have housing and I am not certain, although I hope, that we will end up in GA. Any words of wisdom from the BAD Community?
In additional to frantically seeking housing, I have SPAMMED everyone in my network with a plea to share my LinkedIn profile with their network. I had a first interview on Friday afternoon and made it to the next round, but I’m not confident.
The sorrow and joys of this roller-coaster overwhelm her at times, but she is committed to this course.
Hope plans to dig out of debt using any resource possible including her small business EPOH, her blog and any other resource that comes to mind!