As you’ve heard the last couple of weeks, I’ve kind been through the fire these past couple of months and just now am beginning to feel like I’m coming out the other side. Not saying that a majority of what I’ve been through isn’t of my own making, but it certainly all wasn’t. So now I’m starting to process the lessons learned, especially financially and personally and just now starting to think of a new life plan.
Notice I did not say, financial plan, because frankly I’m way past that now. I not only need a financial plan, but a whole life plan. So that’s where we begin today…with a complete tear down and reconstruction of my life goals so I can build a plan, with your help, of course. Just pretend that you all, together are my spouse, partner, guidance counselor, and let me have it. I want all your perspectives, all your input.
So here’s my I’m at…my “big” goals in life in no particular order. I figure once I prioritize them, I can start the plan making.
- Three month emergency fund (approx $10,000) <-obviously a savings goal, so should I break it into pieces?
- Get rid of car payment <-car is listed for sale
- Build house that will not only accommodate current family but 1) allow me to take in additional foster kids, preferably sibling groups and 2) allow me to assist those in transition as I have been that don’t have the support/assistance of others ie single moms (thinking 6 bedrooms, 4 baths)
- Evaluate current business model and revise to more consultant rather than assistant for more marketable and economy OR
- Evaluate corporate possibilities
- Establish retirement plan
- Become financially independent of both younger kid’s dad sporadic child support and adoption assistance that is available for foster/adoptive kids (ties strongly to 4 and 4 on this list)
- Learn car maintenance skills (this has been a big hang up for me in regards to buying used cars. I figure if I can tackle it, I can feel most comfortable with 2.)
- Learn basic house maintenance skills (I’m well on my way with this one, but would like to find a way to learn more especially in light of 3.)
Ok, I think that’s it. So hit me with your best shot here. Are these achievable, realistic, good goals? What type of priority order would you put them? Any suggestions on achieving them?