Over the years that I was a reader of this blog prior to becoming a writer, I always found the “reward” posts interesting. And as I have been facing down this “consumer loan debt free” date, after months of extreme budget living, I started thinking about giving ourselves a reward for all we’ve done this year to get to this point.
For those newer readers, we have done the following (some by choice, some not:)
- Moved out of our more expensive home to a tiny apartment.
- Sold our fabulously large, though gas guzzling family car.
- Tortured ourselves by squeezing like sardines into a tiny, though paid off and good gas mileage car (and learning to drive stick shift to do it.)
- Given up all travel since August – HUGE for us!
- Lots of individuals sacrifices to which my kids have learned to respond when someone asks “Budget Cuts” which cracks me up every time.
- Lived without many conveniences ie microwave, fenced yard, individual bedrooms
- Purge – we have sold, given away, trashed or donated almost 70% of everything we owned since September, 2014.
- Several months of pretty much living on nothing, not a single dime of money to spend. We call it living on air. This was by choice to reach the “living on last month’s pay” and “consumer debt free by July” goals, but we are doing it.
Did I miss anything?
So I have decided we deserve a reward and I need your advice on it! This is what I want….Drumroll please….
A counter top water filtration system!
Not what you expected was it! Ha! I guess, I’m now so engrained in frugal and practical and all other things that continue to point us toward debt free living, that it’s now habit.
So here’s my reasoning:
1) Our apartment water is NASTY!
2) Gallon’s of water eat up our budget and we go through it FAST! (Typically $0.79 per gallon.) Lots of time when we are tight, I just won’t buy it and then we suffer through the nasty taste, and thus drink less water. (Ok, I can’t even drink it so we will put lemon in it or some of my essential oils to help.)
3) We need to drink WAY more water…all of us!
So while counter space is prime real estate in our tiny apartment, I have decided that a counter top water filtration system is a wonderful reward for us becoming consumer debt free. I haven’t priced them, haven’t researched them, so now I am here…asking for your suggestions, advice and recommendations.
Tell me everything you can about your counter top water filtration system! Anticipate purchase date…July, 2015!