All debt pay off is on hold for this moment as I focus my energy and quite possibly my money on our housing situation. We were SO close at the beginning of this week to making a decision and making a move, but in the end I backed out.
I have all channels open in the housing search and am giving myself until Sept 1 to make a decision. Here is where we are at:
House to Buy
I have qualified for a down payment grant so with just 3.5% down I can buy a house. I have set the limit on this right at $100K which would make my house payment right around $600-700 and leave me plenty to make improvements and tackle any issues that came up. A very gracious real estate agent is on the lookout for this. If it doesn’t work out by my Sept 1 deadline, I have a second deadline for her of May 1. Here’s what we are looking for: 1) within 30-40 drive radius of our city, 2) 4 bedrooms, 3) at least 2 bathrooms, 4) first floor master and 5) at least an acre, prefer a bit more and isolated enough for chickens.
Status: We found our DREAM home, a fixer upper with 4 acres for $90K. Unfortunately, it needed to much work to qualify for a regular mortgage. Boo!
House to Rent
Seeking 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath for rent that will allow all our animals. Still want first floor master but am finding myself even more willing to compromise on that as we get closer to the deadline. Very unrealistic goal to stay around same rent level at $1300, so have looked a bit higher lately but it makes me cringe.
Status: Have pretty much ruled this out. Found an amazing home that would have suited perfectly. It has been on the market for a while and seller seemed rather anxious to rent it as a result, but after a conversation regarding our animals and his nervousness AND more importantly running numbers, I have decided that this would be a STUPID financial decision (rent $1700) and did not quite trust him on the animal front. So I emailed him yesterday and graciously said, thanks but no thanks. Kids were quite sad, but I think they understand.
Three Bedroom Apartment
I wrote earlier in the summer about the large waiting list at our current apartment complex for their three bedrooms. Well, when I went into to discuss options for terminating if we found a house, I asked again. There are 2 available in September! And more importantly, they are on special for $1300, approx the same I’m paying for the 2 bedroom. But it is on the second floor (I hate stairs if you haven’t figured that out,) and on the other side of the complex so not quite the ease of use for the dog park.
Status: Kids are all voting to move. I’m in limbo, reasons being 1) not sure who would get the single room and 2) would not be as comfortable with the little ones taking the dogs out alone. Not to mention to pack and move, when I have a definite end game goal of moving to a purchased home in May when the school year is over.
Stay where we are, sign a lease through May and just deal. Maybe rearrange rooms again because Princess is definitely struggling with not having any privacy…ever (ahem, I am too,) and Little Gymnast and the Twins are
ALWAYS often at each others’ throats.
Status: This is definitely the way I’m leaning. No packing, no moving, no stairs, no inconvenient dog park, no fighting over small single room. And I keep thinking with the school year picking back up and us getting back to our busy schedules, there won’t be quite so much togetherness so maybe the bickering and stress levels will settle back down.
So this is where my time is being spent these days…the housing debacle. I am SO ready for this to be done!
SIDE NOTE: Have you all heard of this contest where a couple is giving away a farm here in Virginia on an essay contest… I’m sorely tempted to enter!